Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Rebatching Soap - Crock Pot vs. Double Boiler

There are a few ways to rebatch.  Here are a couple; double boiler and crock pot

The first batch consisted of 2 failed batches of soap, the first one I left it on cure rack for 2 weeks and the second batch was quite new.  I grated the soap together but separated the white and pink, then put it in the double boiler over gentle heat.  It took nearly an hour and a half to dissolve.  Then I mixed the two parts up, perhaps too much, because the colors just blended together.  The texture looks acceptable considering I used 33% lye solution with no extra water when rebatching.


In the second batch was a new soap fresh out of the mold.  I planned for orange and yellow soap, but the colors disappeared, so another rebatching opportunity.  And since I wanted to know if there is any difference in  the texture of soap using crock pot to the one done in the double boiler, I decided to give it a try.  The crock pot had higher heat than the double boiler.  Soap did stick to the side of the pot a bit more.  However, it used less time, only about an hour.

I added more color at the end of the cook, since there was little color to begin with, but still not much showed up.  Perhaps I needed more orange.  This is the result:



Personally I prefer the texture of the soap from the double boiler.  How about you?  Which is your preference?  Would really love to hear what you think of these two methods or if there are any differences.  O was it just me?

No comments:

Post a Comment